This analysis is of the questionnaire I carried out myself. Its aim was to find out more about our target audience and what genres they are into. From this I can find out more about people whose favourite genre was thriller. Also I can find out more about age differences.
The first graph is of my age and gender demographics:
The sample is mostly of 15-17 and 18-24 year olds, our area of target audience. However, I have found people of wide age ranges and this leads to a better analysis of what audiences prefer.
Now I shall look at the relation between gender and genre:
Here, we can see the genres which were more popular with either genre. The thriller genre was most popular with males, and secondly popular with females. This backs up our decision to target a male audience.
I think star appeal is very important in advertising, and these are the results to the question 'Are you swayed by star appeal?'
This pie chart includes answers form both male and female no matter what age. The majority answers 'sometimes' so this means that over half our audience can or has been swayed by star appeal. This is important to note as it may effect what we show in our advertising, for example, naming our "stars" on posters or the trailer.
Because our target audience will be male I will break the last results down to see if a male audience is less swayed by star appeal:
Here, I find that half could be swayed by stars, but then following closely, males said they were not swayed by star appeal. I think that this is vital information, as I have learnt that using stars in advertising may not always be successful when targeting a male audience.
A less gender orientated question I asked was 'Have you been persuaded to see a film by its advertising?'. The answer was 99% yes. This is good news for us as when we evaluate our products we can ask if it would persuade our audience to see it, as we now know that a large number of people are allured by its advertising. Next, the question 'Have you followed an advertising campaign' proved a little less successful. Only 22% voted 'yes' so that's a much smaller audience who will follow our entire campaign. However, this just means that we will have to really grab the audiences attention to try and get them to watch our "film". Thirdly, the question 'Where do you watch [teaser trailers] them?' had a 93% answer of 'TV' which tells us where our teaser trailer is most likely to be watched. Finally, 'How long do you think a teaser trailer should be?' tells us our audiences expectations of teaser trailers. 76% said they would expect it to be 30-60 seconds, which is correct in the definition of teaser trailers. We gather from this that our teaser trailer will have to meet these expectations for it to be successful.
Overall I think that this information has been extremely valuable to my group as this information will be used to make our product better and suit our target audience. I think that the questionnaire was the best way of gathering this information as our efforts using the Internet did not go as successfully, also I thought the range of ages was good. (I interviewed these older people at an adult drama group session, and most of the 15-17/18-24's were friends and random people around college and at home.)
However, we know in the future to perhaps set up questionnaire online much sooner and to find better ways of online communication.




No comments:
Post a Comment