![]() |
| http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/genres/thriller/ as was on 7th October |
As one of our products we have to produce a poster for our "film" so in order to gather a idea of how thriller posters are constructed I have taken a screenshot of Apple Trailers. They are the most popular thriller films at the moment and I shall briefly summarise some of the posters pros and cons.
![]() |
| www.impawards.com |
1. The Next Three Days
The Next Three Days poster merges the use of photography and graphics that makes for a very interesting advertisement. However, I feel that the poster does not appeal to me at all, as the poster does not explain what it is about, and the graphics seem to repeat themselves a lot. I think it is important to notice the detail and not use the same images over again to make it look like you're using more, which is what this poster does!
![]() |
| www.impawards.com/ |
2. Enter The Void
Personally, I love this poster. The colours, the graphics and the typography is fantastic and this is what makes it so attractive to me. The mad, bright colours definitely suggest some drug-induced visuals that can be thrilling and shocking to the audience. The writing on the left hand side is extremely different and i like the detail in each name. It really makes this poster stand out and I find it aesthetically pleasing.
![]() |
| www.impawards.com/ |
3. Catfish
The Catfish poster is entirely based on graphics, and it tells us little about the film. Catfish is an independent film that has relied on word of mouth and viral marketing to advertise its film, so they don’t have lots of money to spend on lavish posters. I do like this poster though because of how bold it is, the red and black would stand out if I saw this on a bus shelter or similar. I’d say the only downside is the lack of information it gives, for example I know that it has a brilliant viral website but gives no link of how to find it. I think they have cut off potential audience because of the extreme lack of communication.
4. Stone
This poster is purely text based with only little use of photoshopping. The main aim of getting the title and date across has been met, but I find this poster too 'wordy' for audiences to take much notice of it. However, I do like its idea of the font being diagonal across the page and the main information in a brown colour which makes it more obvious. I think that the film is selling itself to be a arty/intelligent film because of its formal poster. My dislike is the smoke in the background, which seems cheap looking and amateur.
6. Carlos
I really like this poster. The image is a photograph, maybe taken from the film itself. Then it has been simply re-coloured and this has made it look 'vintage' and old. When paired with the font of the title, this vintage look is emphasized. The wide shot of this man makes him appear powerful and insinuates that he is rich (stepping of a jet plane looking like a celebrity) which will be reflective of the characters persona. If this were on a billboard I think I would notice it because of its simple colour scheme and layout, and this makes it easily readable.
![]() |
| http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2010/07/new-stone-trailer-stars-deniro-norton-jovovich/ |
This poster is purely text based with only little use of photoshopping. The main aim of getting the title and date across has been met, but I find this poster too 'wordy' for audiences to take much notice of it. However, I do like its idea of the font being diagonal across the page and the main information in a brown colour which makes it more obvious. I think that the film is selling itself to be a arty/intelligent film because of its formal poster. My dislike is the smoke in the background, which seems cheap looking and amateur.
![]() |
| www.impawards.com |
5. Devil
I find this poster very basic, but still effective. Their design is clever as they incorporate the title and the image together, and the image also relates to the film. The main colour of black may not be very attention-grabbing so perhaps this might not work in a suburban area, and especially when its dark.
![]() |
| www.impawards.com |
I really like this poster. The image is a photograph, maybe taken from the film itself. Then it has been simply re-coloured and this has made it look 'vintage' and old. When paired with the font of the title, this vintage look is emphasized. The wide shot of this man makes him appear powerful and insinuates that he is rich (stepping of a jet plane looking like a celebrity) which will be reflective of the characters persona. If this were on a billboard I think I would notice it because of its simple colour scheme and layout, and this makes it easily readable.
![]() |
| www.impawards.com |
7. Legacy
For my project I'd really like to reproduce a similar poster because I think that the layout would be not too difficult to re-produce and it has a professional look about it. I think the title is very obvious, which is immediately readable by passing audience so they will remember. Even though this poster does not sell the film to me, I think the look of it is okay, using photos from the film (it seems) and then polishing them on photoshop.
![]() |
| www.impawards.com |
8. Carnies
I really do not think this poster is good. To me, its looks messy and the photoshop looks wrong - like the faces are trying to be a cartoon, but not quite getting there. The amount of information seems to overload us, there are a lot of people from various shot sizes and lots of colours that seem to merge together and create a mish-mash of colours and shapes. However, I do like the font but it doesn't seem to translate on this poster.
![]() |
| http://www.flicksandbits.com/2010/09/16/the-fighter-trailer-poster-starring-christian-bale-amy-adams-mark-wahlberg/3589/ |
9. The Fighter
The Fighter poster is bold and strong, which has an eye-catching title positioned centrally and horizontally. The poster is all text based, and this seems to me like a teaser poster because it only reveals the title, date, and the actors. I think as a teaser poster its very effective, but if this was their main one it's perhaps a little scarce on information.
![]() |
| www.impawards.com |
10. Hereafter
This poster merges photos and graphics smoothly with the use of the colour blue. The main text is the title, but Matt Damon's name is almost as big as Hereafter, which emphasises his importance.His image on the right hand side draws your eye to him as usually we read from the left to right. By changing the conventions of poster layouts and whats 'easier' to read it stands out because audiences are not used to it.
Overall, the thriller genre posters can be quite diverse in attracting their target audience, so this means that our group can really play around with lots of conventions and styles, becuase there doesn't seem to a regular pattern. One thing I have noticed though is the font - most of the time they are bold and capital that stand out. We should probably follow this convention, as well as keeping the colour scheme basic, becuase sometimes this can be quite distracting.












No comments:
Post a Comment