I conducted several interviews with friends and their reaction to the posters. It also includes a focus group that Stacey and I organised, and they discuss the posters too. Here are the filmed interviews:
Poster Feedback:
1.
First impressions in this interview were the preferred reading of the poster. It is described as "sinister", and the undertones of the real film Hunt are just this. They think the protagonist will be a "hit-man", however I regret not asking them why they thought this! I find it very interesting when Chris says it will appeal to women - "James Bond appeals to females, because they probably think he's good looking". I had never thought of this, even though our primary audience is male, it has now occurred to me that our advertising can potentially appeal to a much wider audience. When asked what they think stands out most, between them they choose different things. This interests me because it shows how our audience will interpret the poster uniquely. Finally, they agree that this film would be suitable for 15+ which is its real target audience.
2.
This is the oldest male I interview, so he will read the poster a little differently than a younger audience. Once again, this poster is alluded to James Bond, something which our group did not predict. I think this shows though that we successfully captured the genre of 'action/thriller' yet the psychological thriller our film really is, does not seem to be picked up by many people. Sunny thinks that this films would be more suitable for 18+ viewers because "it looks like it could contain blood and guts". The 'December 2011' and the image stands out most for him, something we expected. I presented both posters on this one - but forgot to ask him which he preferred!!
3.
"It shows quite a dark film, that could be really interesting to watch" - From Lewis's point of view, his first impression is that he would like to see this film. Personally I think this response is excellent because our main aim of advertising is to get people to want to see it. Both interviewees interpret the films genre differently one being an "action" the other a "thriller/horror" genre. Perhaps this shows that our poster may be a little vague on telling us the exact genre it will be. On the other hand they agree that the film will appeal to "people our age, or even above", so we seem to have been successful in targeting our audience. Jack comments on the images saying "it looks like it were a piece of evidence, caught on CCTV..." Once again, people have interpreted this image in an individual way, which we ourselves did not think of.
4.
When asked what genre they think it is, they immediately say "action... like, fighting." They agree on this and go further saying there would be "guns and stuff", even though on the poster, there is no violent imagery or even a picture of a gun. This conveys how powerful use of colour and images are, as they connote this 'violence'. I think it's a stereotype that we draw upon with the use of dark colours that make them unquestionably say "action". Also, they think the target audience is 15+ and male .
5.
For the third time 'James Bond' is mentioned, I think its fair to conclude that our poster seems to advertise an action-packed explosive thriller, rather than a psychological thriller to quite a few people. This tells me the poster does not 100% convey our target genre, on the other hand, perhaps by making it vague it could attract more people which form a business point of view, wouldn't be so bad! In the above interviews there is contrasting views on the most "effective poster", but because George is our target audience, it is really his view I'm interested in. He says he prefers the left one as it stands out more and the "chalky' effect is nice. One of the reasons I prefer our final poster is similar - I think that the information stands out better and its simpleness works to its advantage. Finally, I think Nicola really sums up how we intend to attract audiences - "It's quite vague, so you kinda wanna know what it's about it doesn't give much information away, but it a good way 'cause you want to find out about it." Essentially, this poster is teasing the audience so that they will watch it to find out more.
6.
This focus group consists of an older audience, as they are aged 17 and 18. They pick out interesting things about our posters, especially when they compare the two. Some argue that the "white noise" (another different interpretation of the effect) adds the the "air of mystery", but then the right poster's silhouette does not have has much "contrast" and does not stand out as well. They agree that the release date stands out, and it's useful. Compared to the other interviews they mostly think it will be a thriller, and one person mentions the exact one - a psychological thriller! Like I mention above though, I don't think the genre is clear enough. Interestingly, more people prefer the one on the right to our final product, but if I'd have asked "which poster looks more professional?", the answer may have been different.
The Teaser Trailer Feedback:
Stacey put up our trailer on Facebook with some questions. Quite a few people replied and their answers are helpful in finding out what real people think of our teaser, and most importantly, if they think it's successful. Here are the screenshots:
I think it's clear from the results we can see that the genre its easier to identify in the teaser. Most people say the word "thriller", rather than just "action" like people said from the poster.
Also Mark says he'd be more willing to see the film if we included an actors name or the director, and I agree. If we were to do it again, I would put Adam Lloyd's name on it, because we see this on the poster and magazine cover. The general response is good however, and I think that peoples reaction to the 'atmosphere' of the film is pleasing. If the teaser trailer made everyone feel tension then we would have fulfilled our intentions.
The Magazine Cover Feedback:
The feedback for the magazine cover was done on Facebook as well, because it was the easiest and quickest way to gather information. I asked people for general feedback, rather than set questions, so they could point out anything they liked. For this research, I only asked males 15+ Here are the results:
Not much analysis is given, but every comment gives positive feedback. There is mention of the colour scheme of the magazine - that its is "powerful" and "eye catching". This is good because I want people to notice the cover as they browse through all the other magazines. Dale says he prefers the image of Adam on the poster because it gives a "sense of mystery", rather than him facing us. Whilst this viewpoint is valid, the magazine is aiming to bring us closer to the characters, which is why I choose a shot facing us. Interestingly, George notices that Adam is smiling, which he has a problem with. I agree that the image would be more striking if he looked more serious and 'murderous', however a friend told me in person that they think the smile gives him a sinister aura - like he actually enjoys killing people!
Overall, I think the main aim was to make this look as close as possible to a real magazine and I think judging by this feedback it was successful.

No comments:
Post a Comment