'Enter The Void' is a new film by Gaspar Noe and I think that the teaser trailer fits in with my groups theme of 'psychological/thriller genre' that we will be exploring to devise our own teaser trailer. This is the teaser:
This trailer is very unusual as it shows only one still image that pans across the screen. This image is of a dead body in what seems to be a dirty, disgusting toilet cubicle. By analysing the mise-en-scene you could assume that the setting for this film will be similar to the dark 'gritty' atmosphere of the cubicle, like underground clubs and drug dens. The dead body connotes to us that there will be violence in this film but as we only see one man we may question if he is a important character - if so, then why show us he is dead? Is this how the film ends? Why show us only him? These questions are not answered and it already has the audience intrigued as to what the film is about. The camera angle is from above looking down over him, which can symbolize a omniscient narrator we haven't seen yet, or perhaps the film will have voyeuristic undertones. The symbolism seems quite intense, yet the meaning doesn't seem obvious.
The text appears slowly, coming in from the left in yellow capital letters. It mode of address immediately captures the eye and insinuates danger and hazards, and the capitals demand the attention from the audience. The non-linear order of the words (which we assume is the title of the film) could reflect the films narrative structure, or emphasize the psychological effects of the film - things may appear 'backwards' and not make sense at first. The music holds a wavering note that increases pitch, this is a convention often used in action/thriller trailers (like Inception) to increase the tension and give a sense of approaching danger.
The trailer seems to be polysemic, audiences can interpret it it many ways and react to it differently, yet they come to a similar conclusion about the dark atmosphere of the film. This is why I choose this trailer for audience response analysis.
I interviewed some of my friends after they had seen the teaser trailer - none of them knew the director or had seen the theatrical trailer for this film. Here are my results:
I've never used iMovie before so tested it with the making of this interview and I found it very easy to use. Here are some tutorials that helped me create the final result:
And screen shots of the developing product:
Even though easy to use, I think that the software is very limited and could not produce a sophisticated teaser trailer to the high quality compared to other programs.
To film it I used a Flip HD Camera, which was perfect for this kind of use. It was very easy to use and the quality is not bad. However I wouldn't use it to make a teaser trailer!
Audience Reaction Evaluation
Interviewing these people made me aware of how effective a teaser trailer can be. Only one of these interviewees have studied media so it was interesting to see how non-media students interpret these texts.
I asked 6 questions, and here is my evaluation on the results...
1. What was your initial reaction to this teaser trailer?
Generally, the response was quite different from everyone which I find is very useful so I can find common ground from all my interviewees. Their general response helps me find out their truthful feelings and analyze how well the trailer effected people.
2. What genre do you think this film will be?
The genre was widely accepted as a horror, which is interesting because after seeing the theatrical trailer, the film is obviously not a horror, more of an 'experimental thriller'. This tells me that the teaser trailer did not sell its film truthfully and they may have missed the mark! However it was interesting to hear "weirdness" from the youngest interviewee - perhaps the teaser is trying to be too clever, and for an older audience the gene of experimental film is not one that they are exposed to often, unlike horror films.
3. What did you like about this trailer?
The text format was popular, again described as "weird" and "not normal". Because its unconventional ("I've not seen a trailer like that before") it grabbed peoples attention, which seems to be a positive thing here.
4. What didn't you like about this trailer?
However, it seems to confusing for people to enjoy or understand and also that it "didn't give much away". This tells me that maybe a little more information about a film in the teaser is more desirable.
5. Who do you think their target audience is?
People replied 18+, some 15+ yet some didn't have an idea at all and I think this can be disastrous as no one remember to pay attention for this film in the future. Personally I think the dead body and the experimental feel of the trailer makes it an 18+, but to an audience the address needs to be clearer.
6. Finally, did this teaser trailer make you want to see the film?
Nearly all said "yes" to this question, which must is a good thing. However, reasons were more based on 'its really confusing and I want to know more' rather than 'that looks/sounds fantastic/amazing' for my groups trailer, will (most likely) be the aim.
Even though easy to use, I think that the software is very limited and could not produce a sophisticated teaser trailer to the high quality compared to other programs.
![]() |
| http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9925331/Flip-Video-UltraHD-HD-Camcorder/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccc:%7Cprd:9925331%7Ccat:Video+Cameras# |
Audience Reaction Evaluation
Interviewing these people made me aware of how effective a teaser trailer can be. Only one of these interviewees have studied media so it was interesting to see how non-media students interpret these texts.
I asked 6 questions, and here is my evaluation on the results...
1. What was your initial reaction to this teaser trailer?
Generally, the response was quite different from everyone which I find is very useful so I can find common ground from all my interviewees. Their general response helps me find out their truthful feelings and analyze how well the trailer effected people.
2. What genre do you think this film will be?
The genre was widely accepted as a horror, which is interesting because after seeing the theatrical trailer, the film is obviously not a horror, more of an 'experimental thriller'. This tells me that the teaser trailer did not sell its film truthfully and they may have missed the mark! However it was interesting to hear "weirdness" from the youngest interviewee - perhaps the teaser is trying to be too clever, and for an older audience the gene of experimental film is not one that they are exposed to often, unlike horror films.
3. What did you like about this trailer?
The text format was popular, again described as "weird" and "not normal". Because its unconventional ("I've not seen a trailer like that before") it grabbed peoples attention, which seems to be a positive thing here.
4. What didn't you like about this trailer?
However, it seems to confusing for people to enjoy or understand and also that it "didn't give much away". This tells me that maybe a little more information about a film in the teaser is more desirable.
5. Who do you think their target audience is?
People replied 18+, some 15+ yet some didn't have an idea at all and I think this can be disastrous as no one remember to pay attention for this film in the future. Personally I think the dead body and the experimental feel of the trailer makes it an 18+, but to an audience the address needs to be clearer.
6. Finally, did this teaser trailer make you want to see the film?
Nearly all said "yes" to this question, which must is a good thing. However, reasons were more based on 'its really confusing and I want to know more' rather than 'that looks/sounds fantastic/amazing' for my groups trailer, will (most likely) be the aim.



No comments:
Post a Comment